Everyone remembers their first travel experience. Whether it’s the first flight or the first accommodation, it is always special. You might feel a little daunted about the whole thing in the beginning. But luckily, a little knowledge about travel can go a long way. To get the most out of your first travelling experience, we bring you the best travel tips that will prove useful for you if you are travelling for the first time. Check these out:
Useful Tips for First-Time Travellers
Planning and Packing
Planning and packing are crucial for every journey. So plan first before you start packing.
• Do not stuff any unnecessary items that will increase your bag load.
• Ensure to keep more of your daily essentials and only a limited pair of shoes.
• If you are travelling abroad, make sure your passport has validity to last your entire trip.
• Prepare a flexible itinerary for your travel so that you can avoid any hassles.
• Scan your driver’s license and keep it on email to access it easily.
• Keep basic medicines handy so that you need not to rush in case of small emergencies.
• Do not forget to get travel insurance done before you leave.
Before you reach the airport or railway station, some important things need to be kept in mind.
• Arrive early at the station or airport so that you have enough time in hand for the check-in formalities. A last-minute rush can even lead to you missing your flight or train.
• Eat beforehand so that you do not have to spend money on expensive airport food. Also, carry your own water bottle.
• Earplugs and eye masks are your best friends during any travel, so do not forget to keep them handy with you.
• Take something that can entertain you during your travel such as a novel, play cards etc. This will help you from getting bored during the travel.
• If you are travelling overnight, do keep a toothbrush and toothpaste at a place where it is easily accessible.
• Mark a sign or put your name on the suitcase so that you can easily identify it while picking up your luggage.
Here are some first-time travel tips when you reach your destination.
• Greet everyone you meet with politeness as it goes a long way.
• Do not keep all your cash in one place as you risk losing all your money in one go. Also, do not take all your money or cards with you while you are going out. Keep it somewhere safe.
• Instead of hiring private cabs, use public transport. It will be cheaper and easier to get.
• Check with the locals for the places to explore and nearby shopping areas.
• Keep some change money handy.
• Having flip-flops can be comfortable.
Booking hotels and flights in advance are not just a first-time travel hack, but it is something that can help you every time you travel.
• Check all the hotel bookings from various websites to grab the best deal on your stay. A little research will help you save more bucks.
• Similarly, look for the prices of flight bookings on various OTAs before you finalize your flight ticket.
• Check for the travel prices for the whole month and book your hotels and flights for the dates with the lowest prices.
• Avoid travelling during the peak season as there will be a crowd and the prices of hotels and flights will be higher.
For tech-savvy first-time travellers, it is always a habit to tote around with every camera accessory. But when travelling for the first time, remember that less is more.
• Avoid carrying your expensive digital camera on your first trip. This mighty be risky as it is your first experience, and you might not be able to handle it with care. Additionally, the camera also holds the risk of getting lost.
• Hopefully, you will not be working on vacation, so avoid taking your laptop with you.
• Bulky electronics will not just slow you down but will also have the risk of you becoming a target for the snatchers in a new city. So avoid carrying bulky electronics.
• If you still have some essential electronics, do not leave them unattended in the hotel room. Use the safe to keep your electronics and other expensive stuff.
Just be careful while visiting any restaurants and bars in a new place.
• You might be an easy target if you keep telling random strangers that you are on your first vacation. Avoid getting into such conversations.
• Watch your drink while it is made in a bar; not everyone is trustworthy.
• Do not tell people you meet at a bar or a restaurant where you are putting up or where you are heading. Be aware.
If you are among first-time travellers, it is important for you to download all the safety apps in case of emergencies.
• There are apps such as Uber, bSafe etc., which will help you reach your destination safely.
• These safety apps also help your friends and family to keep track of where you are heading and thereby increasing your safety.
Besides these first-time travel tips, you can grab cheap hotel bookings from HappyEasyGo. HappyEasyGo brings you the best deals for your trip and guarantees the lowest airfare for domestic flights. To book a flight or hotel, or manage your existing flight and hotel bookings, visit the HappyEasyGo website, mobile site, or download the HappyEasyGo app.